Simple NixOS Mailserver

Andrew Kelly (creator of Zig) highly recommends Simple NixOS mailserver. Claims it runs with no hassle and delivers mail flawlessly. This is neat, but still very complex compared to maddy. Nix with its immutable OS does manage complexity nicely in a reliable way. However, are we solving the right problem? Maybe we should be avoiding some of this complexity in the first place such that we don’t need Nix for things like a mail server …

As I brush my shoulders with Nix, I am more convinced that its a solid platform to build Linux distros of future and today’s demands from system maintenance point of view. Nix the language is pretty solid and its functional approach is awesome, your whole system is an expression. I am going to give it a shot in a VM as I have installed NixOS with KDE/Plasma5 and its a breeze to get going. Maybe, I will mix my archlinux and Nixos experience. I know AUR is powerful and with Nixos I will have to give up some of that but its perhaps not a big deal. I think you can replace Ansilble if you start using NixOS for server loads.

1 Like

Due to some problems with a recent Maddy upgrade, I switched to this mailserver setup over the weekend and I’m very impressed. ~20 lines of declarative config and I have a well integrated mail server with the following features. Spam filter is exceptional out of the box, but moving filters to Junk triggers Bayesian learning on the server. This is neat as you can train mail on any client, instead of having to relay on Bayesian filtering in a client like Thunderbird, which does not work all that well in my experience. Also like being able to declaratively set up accounts and aliases in a simple config file instead of messing with databases, etc.