Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ Microphone Review

To date, I have been using a Sennheiser SC 160 headset for recording podcasts and screencasts. It is decent and does an excellent job of blocking out background noise (my home office can get pretty noisy at times), so I will probably continue to use that for online meetings. Matt Mullenweg likes the Sennheiser headsets. However I’ve never been completely satisfied with the audio quality during recordings, so I recently purchased an Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ microphone. Quality is much better, however it is very sensitive so picks up more background noise. Technology is full of trade-offs – you can rarely find one thing that does everything perfectly, thus I’ll continue to use the Sennheiser for when the environment is noisy. But, early mornings when things are quiet, the AT2020 will be nice.

Below is a comparison between the SC 160 and the AT2020USB+:

SC 160

AT2020USB+

The difference is rather pronounced when you compare them side by side.

I have been using ATR2500x-USB for over a year now and I have realized the difference, especially in audio quality. It works flawlessly on Macs, I have had issues with 5.10+ kernels on Archlinux, where it stopped recognizing it after a kernel upgrade. I have not tried it lately, maybe things have changed.