This community now has chat functionality

Hi,

Discourse Chat has been added to this site. You need to have trust level 1 to use it – ping me if you are not already there, or better post something useful and discourse will automatically bump your trust level :slight_smile:

To use, click on the chat button at the top:

Then you will see a chat window pop up:

Seems pretty nice so far. It has features to edit/delete messages, move then to a topic, etc. Currently only the General chat channel has been set up. We can add channels for the rest of the channels if we feel that is useful.

cc: @trust_level_0

1 Like

this is neat feature you discovered here.

Chat seems to be working very well in this forum. I think Discourse is now a fairly good communication tool for teams and communities:

• chat for building relationships, brainstorming, etc
  • forum topics for preserving knowledge that can be easily searched and expanded in the future

Information can easily be moved from chat to topics, so you get the best of both worlds.

May be a good alternative to Slack.

Notifications seem to be reasonably well done – default appears to be you get email notifications if you have been gone for 15m, but you can change it if you like:

With Discourse, markdown is used in topic posts and chat messages. Just tried in chat:

Even tables work in a chat message!

So this makes for a very nice flow of information:

chat message β†’ forum topic β†’ md doc in Gitea

Since its all markdown, its very easy to migrate information from transient channels to more permanent channels as needed. Low friction is key.

It may not be obvious how to get to a chat channel’s settings – click on the channel name, and then you’ll see something like the below:

After using Discourse chat for several weeks, I think it is a really good chat implementation. The editing/replying experience is as good or better than most other chat clients (I use signal, slack, discord). Slack threads are neat, but I feel they probably hide too much chat information in general. It seems Discourse would be a really good tool for an internal company communication tool, and of course a good community tool. It can really do both with one instance using groups.

Discourse chat has been moved from a plugin to the Discourse core, so it’s going mainstream. I continue to be impressed with Discourse chat – I get nice emails when not logged in, and popups if running in a desktop browser, but those could be disabled if needed.

1 Like

Continue to be very pleased with the Discourse chat experience. The editing is first-class and allows you to use all the power of markdown with syntax highlighting, etc. in your chat messages. Example below:

I have not found any way to search chats, which would be handy, but perhaps this constraint is good – if there are chat messages that need to be preserved, they should be moved into more permanent topics. Discourse makes it very easy to create topics from chat messages, or copy them for pasting.

1 Like

Below is example of copying a set of comments from a chat discussion and pasting them into a topic:

Originally sent in @bmoyers, @khem
cbrake

its rebuilding base-files, linux, systemd, and couple other things here without meta-variscite -- Yocto does have good dependency tracking ...

khem

yes, its as good as metadata though

if they mess with core variables then it tosses everything out

some BSP layers do that too :frowning:

diff --git a/recipes-bsp/imx-atf/imx-atf_2.6.bbappend b/recipes-bsp/imx-atf/imx-atf_2.6.bbappend
index 703584a..97d336f 100644
--- a/recipes-bsp/imx-atf/imx-atf_2.6.bbappend
+++ b/recipes-bsp/imx-atf/imx-atf_2.6.bbappend
@@ -1,8 +1,8 @@
-SRC_URI = "git://github.com/varigit/imx-atf;protocol=https;branch=${SRCBRANCH} \
-           file://rwx-segments.patch \
-           "
-SRCBRANCH = "lf_v2.6_var01"
-SRCREV = "b15d97961fd1a921624a645aef9f2e10ef54b36c"
+#SRC_URI = "git://github.com/varigit/imx-atf;protocol=https;branch=${SRCBRANCH} \
+#           file://rwx-segments.patch \
+#           "
+#SRCBRANCH = "lf_v2.6_var01"
+#SRCREV = "b15d97961fd1a921624a645aef9f2e10ef54b36c"

EXTRA_OEMAKE:append:imx8mq-var-dart = " \
     BL32_BASE=${TEE_LOAD_ADDR} \
diff --git a/recipes-bsp/imx-mkimage/imx-boot_1.0.bbappend b/recipes-bsp/imx-mkimage/imx-boot_1.0.bbappend
index d496b9f..289d0be 100644
--- a/recipes-bsp/imx-mkimage/imx-boot_1.0.bbappend
+++ b/recipes-bsp/imx-mkimage/imx-boot_1.0.bbappend
@@ -3,11 +3,11 @@

FILESEXTRAPATHS:prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"

-SRC_URI += " \
-    file://0001-iMX8M-soc-allow-dtb-override.patch \
-    file://0002-iMX8M-soc-change-padding-of-DDR4-and-LPDDR4-DMEM-fir.patch \
-    "
-
+#SRC_URI += " \
+#    file://0001-iMX8M-soc-allow-dtb-override.patch \
+#    file://0002-iMX8M-soc-change-padding-of-DDR4-and-LPDDR4-DMEM-fir.patch \
+#    "
+#
 SRC_URI:append:imx8mm-var-dart = " file://0003-iMX8M-soc-add-variscite-imx8mm-support.patch"
 SRC_URI:append:imx8mm-var-dart = " file://0001-iMX8M-soc-imx8mm-move-TEE_LOAD_ADDR-to-512mb-memory-.patch"
 SRC_URI:append:imx8mq-var-dart = " file://0001-iMX8M-soc-imx8mq-move-TEE_LOAD_ADDR-to-512mb-memory.patch"