The kitty terminal

I recently switched from Konsole to the kitty terminal:

kitty is designed for power keyboard users. To that end all its controls work with the keyboard (although it fully supports mouse interactions as well). Its configuration is a simple, human editable, single file for easy reproducibility (I like to store configuration in source control).

The code in kitty is designed to be simple, modular and hackable. It is written in a mix of C (for performance sensitive parts), Python (for easy extensibility and flexibility of the UI) and Go (for the command line kittens). It does not depend on any large and complex UI toolkit, using only OpenGL for rendering everything.

Finally, kitty is designed from the ground up to support all modern terminal features, such as Unicode, true color, bold/italic fonts, text formatting, etc. It even extends existing text formatting escape codes, to add support for features not available elsewhere, such as colored and styled (curly) underlines. One of the design goals of kitty is to be easily extensible so that new features can be added in the future with relatively little effort.

I miss the Ctrl-mouse wheel zoom in Konsole, but have not had time to dig into the configuration yet …

It does display the icons correctly in Yazi, which Konsole does not:

We’ll see …

Viewing images in the terminal

not sure how useful this is, but kind of neat …

Been running over a week with Kitty terminal, and think I’ll stick with it. Still miss Konsole’s ability to zoom in/out, but the default font/size of kitty is usable, and seems to be working. It does feel a little snappier than Konsole, and coupled with Helix’s speed, makes for a nice experience. However, have not measured anything so this is highly subjective.

Next is fish shell in the list :slight_smile:

1 Like