A look at Unison: a revolutionary programming language

Unison is a pure functional programming language that comes with a few revolutionary ideas. Seriously, it makes everything we’re used to, like long builds, dependency version conflicts, tests that run every single build even when nothing checked by them has changed, manual encoding and serialization of data, and lots more look like primitive stuff from the time we were programming in caves. For this reason, I’ve been following Unison development excitedly, if quietly, for a few years now.

As I write this in early 2023, finally, I think it has reached a level of maturity where it’s actually usable for real work, so I decided to write about my impressions using the language for something non-trivial.

Could it really be the language of the future, as its website cheekily proclaims?! What’s so revolutionary about it? Why are we not using its revolutionary ideas in other languages yet if they are so great?!

Let’s have a closer look. It really is worth it!

https://renato.athaydes.com/posts/unison-revolution.html

Interestingly, I had an idea similar to Unison regarding data persistence. I’ve always wondered why programming languages themselves don’t have an automatic data persistence layer, almost like a database built into the language.

But, Unison takes it to another level with all code being converted into AST and then stored into a giant code database.

Code is not stored in multiple, seemingly unrelated text files in Unison. It’s stored in an actual database. One that you can only append to, similar to a Git repository.

The reason Unison doesn’t have builds is that code is already stored in its type-checked, AST (Abstract Syntax Tree) form in that database, linked to other definitions by its hash.

If you write the same function with different names, even with different variable names and perhaps declaring bindings in different order, for example, Unison will just store one function, but add an alias to it if you really want it. It has a canonical representation for all code, which allows it to do that.

Anyway, interesting for more hardcore distributed programming stuff.

1 Like