Selecting a programming language

Interesting that even though the author is focused on Rust, he does note a number of things Go is doing well. It’s all the little things that add up to the total experience.

Drew Devault came with this announcement on Hare system programming Language, I think the approach is good, they are improving C incrementally, I think the tilt to use strong point of go is also quite good. So now we have, rust , go, julia, zig and now hare to keep peeking into :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems like Hare and Zig have a lot in common …

here is IEEE spectrum article on programming languages in 2022 and SQL seems to be demand

1 Like

Interesting – this survey might be more from a engineering perspective (IEEE) vs SW developer, which tends to be JS heavy. Interesting that Python still came out at the top with this audience. Some places engineers may use Python: general scripting, KiCad, Juypter Notebook.

I’m still climbing back up the SQL curve, but it seems important. This quote from wikipedia article is interesting:

Originally based upon relational algebra and tuple relational calculus, …

Seems things based on Math are a little more grounded.

I’ve come to appreciate the simplicity of two dimensional tables compared to a deeply nested JSON object. Yes, the constraints of a flat table are more difficult to work with initially, but long term you reap many benefits in that tables are more flexible. Flat constraints also encourages simpler data structures, which is generally good. A few simple/flexible data structures is much better than a proliferation of complex data structures.