Starting a thread for general notes/news/tips about Arch Linux.
I’ve been using Arch Linux for years and highly recommend it. Some reasons:
- rolling distro so always have the latest of everything
- set things up and they just work forever
- the pacman package manager is fast. Way faster than RPM based systems, and noticeable faster than DEB based systems.
- very stable – upgrades have been very reliable – never any serious problems
- the Arch User Repo (AUR) has about everything that is not packaged in the distro. I almost never have to install stuff from source these days.
- build system is simple, sane, and easy to use. For example, I tweaked the KiCad build so that I could run the 5.1 released version and 5.99 pre-release version in parallel.